Monday, February 6, 2012

The reason I'll come home

I've been here before.  It's the same but it's completely different.

Last time I was 20 and going to live in a country I'd only briefly explored.  Now I'm almost 27 and am revisiting a country I fell in love with 10 years ago.

Last time I was a child trying to be an adult.  This time I'm an adult - full fledged, the kind that pays their bills, has had a full time job, all that fun stuff that is hard but so fulfilling all the same.

Last time I met a guy right before I left that I couldn't get enough of and this time I'm leaving that same guy who I've been living with for 5 years...last time we just started seeing each other and this time we're engaged...last time I was sad, this time I'm a complete mess.

Last time I was naive and I had a parachute to fall back on.  This time, I've quit my job and am living on my savings.

I could go on and on.  I'm nervous, I'm sad, I'm emotional.  But in the end I know this is the right thing for me.  I know I need to do this, I need to try to live on my own in this country I've loved so much for the past 10 years.  And I know only good things will come out of it.  I will miss Faustino, my family and my friends like crazy but I'm lucky to know that they support me.  They have my back.  And besides, this time I'll only be gone for 4 months, a third of a year.  It will fly by and before you or I know it, I will be boarding my flight back home.

In the end, I just hope he knows he's the reason I'll come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment