Tuesday, October 12, 2010

San Leandro to Santa Monica to Brentwood to Burbank. Oh what a day...1

Day 1
Friday, October 11

The Road Trip (RT) started out like any other...driving to get to destination and I drove from San Leandro to West L.A. while Faustino slept because he worked the night shift thus needing to sleep.  I've never driven down south so this would be interesting.  Luckily it was pretty smooth because we left at 11am on Friday.  I'm sure my driving 90mph didn't hurt either.

The view of the grapevine
 After driving the grapevine (my first time), we made it to the LA area by about 3pm.  But because my friend was still working we decided to head to Santa Monica.  Despite being stuck in traffic, we made it to the pier. I'm typically not a big fan of the huge tourist spots.  But this was nice, especially because 10-20 helicopters decided to fly over the pier about twenty minutes after we arrived.  Because Faustino has great eyesight he saw them first from far away (I thought they were birds, haha).  Within minutes they were overhead and louder than I could of imagined.  I don't think they typically fly over the pier on Friday afternoon so it was a nice treat to start our trip.

One of the helicopters overhead
 We then walked around, enjoyed the pier and some fries in the nice weather.  Even took some pictures to share.  Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day.

At the Santa Monica Pier
 After playing on the swings and feeling sick, we went to Jackie's in the Brentwood area.  Drank a beer, waited for a couple friends and then headed out to Burbank.  

Jackie, Faustino and I at her apartment

Beer Jackie sells at work

At the Big Boy's in Burbank we went to the car show that they have every Friday night.  We got to see boat loads of cars (hehe).

Of course I had to take a picture with the yellow boat. :)
Not supposed to touch the cars.
With Big Boy
The ladies with Big Boy
After walking around looking at cars for an hour or two we decided to go eat at an Italian restaurant down the street.  Food was superb and the beer was good.  They even had a little club in the back called "The Lounge" or something similar.  The DJ wasn't great at mixing and the music selection wasn't very good, so needless to say it was a little lame.  There was about 10 people who must have stayed from dinner because no one in their sound mind would have gone to this place on a Friday night just to go.  Unless they were getting free drinks.  Overall, we would go again to have dinner but not to listen to the music.  We finally decided to call it a night around midnight, seeing that Faustino and I had to get up early for the next day's adventures.

Thought about day 1: The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I was able to drive calmly while listening to music and letting Faustino nap.  The weather was beautiful and it was a great way to start the trip.  Can't wait for day 2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment