Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Soul-searching, gut-wrenching trips

For me there are two different types of trips.  There are the trips/vacations which are mindless and they're meant to be that way.  Meaning that during these trips you aren't trying to determine the meaning of life on earth.  For me these type of trips tend to be quick getaways to places like Vegas where life is so fast you don't think about whats going on in the world or they're to the beach somewhere because you're trying to getaway from everyone and everything.  Essentially I call these breather vacations.  These trips are usually nice and they help you relax.  Though, I definitely enjoy them, they don't tend to be fulfilling to me, they are basically just an easy way to escape reality.

Then there are those soul-searching and sometimes gut-wrenching trips.  These trips are journeys and adventures.  They are the things life-long memories are made of.  These tend to be the stories you tell with a wide smile on your face a big chuckle in your heart.  These experiences can open your heart and mind past what you ever thought possible.  They tend to offer a lot of firsts.  Like the first time stopping on a busy highway, putting on the hazard lights just to get a picture with the "Welcome to Arizona" sign meanwhile trucks and cars are honking to cheer you on. ;)  Or they are a first time to a country completely different from your own, with a culture unlike any that you've ever encountered.  Even more so, these trips often put your life into perspective.  You have deep conversations with both yourself and other people.  And generally, they are life altering and they mold the rest of your life.  Sometimes these trips start out as the first type and quickly change into the second and other times you know from the get that they will be both soul-searching and gut-wrenching.  Not because you  plan it to be that way you just have this feeling that it will.

Sometimes you have to be a little crazy ;)
In my short life of 25 years, I have been blessed to have two to three soul-searching trips.  Trips that had an awing effect on me.  And that my friends is how my eleven day road trip started out.  I knew it was going to be great but about an hour into the drive with Faustino sleeping in the passenger seat and me thinking, I had this feeling that this was going to be a lot more than I had anticipated.  And I welcomed it.

On the road in Wyoming
Please continue to stop by my blog over the next few weeks as I will be adding photos (above is just a glimpse at what was taken), captions and stories from my wonderful adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment