Friday, January 7, 2011

And the creativity starts...Adventures in making Coffee Cake

January 2, 2011 - Adventures in making Coffee Cake




I will start by admitting that I'm not a cook.  A couple of years ago I would have even went so far as to say that I hated cooking.  Besides Faustino is good at cooking so who am I to stand in his way.  But as time would go by he started complaining more and more informing me that he wanted me to try my hand at making dinner.  And since then, I have and I've even improved my cooking skills.

But that is cooking and we're now talking about baking!  I've always liked baking, but was never great at it.  Then some how in the past couple of years I decided to take up baking again here and there.  And by Christmas 2009 I was even confident enough to bake massive amounts of goodies and hand them out as presents to my family (they were awesome by the way).  It was definitely a step up from my thought of never stepping foot into a kitchen to make any kind of food for someone other than myself.

Anyhoo, I had planned on starting 2011 by making Country Living's Crunchy Coffee Cake.  Haha that didn't happen.  I was too tired and of course I needed milk and my kitchen was dry.  Moving forward one day...January 2, 2011.  I rested all day before so I didn't have an excuse to postpone my planned breakfast that I had promised Faustino and Megan.

Everything was going great until I had to start making the crumble that goes on top...Cake Flour?!?  What the hell is cake flour and where do I get it?  Store.  No way, I wasn't going back there, I was in my pjs and I intended to stay that way.  Looking like a raggamuffin and all.  Screw it.  I'm using regular flour.  And you're supposed to cut the butter in the mixture, but that was too much work for me.  I had the mixer out from cake portion so I decided to be lazy and mix in the butter and thought nothing more of it.

Until I laid the topping on the cake and thought that doesn't look right.  Oh well, into bake it goes.  20 minutes later and this is what comes out...


Now I'm not an expert but I know this doesn't look right.  Megan took one look at it and then the recipe and knew that I didn't cut the butter in like I was supposed to.  Whoops.  Well, I guess that's what I get for cutting corners and not following directions: ugly coffee cake.  We ate it anyway, because I had promised coffee cake.  And you know what?  It tasted great.  Maybe next time I'll follow the recipe a little closer and I'll have a better looking meal and thus a better photo op. 

Coffee & Cake :)

1 comment:

  1. If you have a cookbook, there should be a "substitutions" section. I forget what the substitution for cake flour is exactly, but you use regular flour and reduce the amount a bit, I believe. But, the proof is always in the taste, and if it tasted good, who cares what it looked like? I bet the topping had a bit of crunch to it. Sounds good to me! nancy

    ReplyDelete