Thursday, April 26, 2012

Another year come and gone...


Birthday cake made by Ilaria and candle provided by Mireia :)


Normally Tuesdays aren't very busy for me (I usually teach about 4.5 hours and since I don't have class on Fridays I don't have to really worry about lesson planning).  Today is even slower than normal because one student rescheduled for another day (which was nice because I'm not feeling so hot).  Since I'm having a quieter  day than normal I'm able to relax in bed, rest my sore throat and reflect and of course catch up on all things that I've been missing out on...like pinterest.
As I was wondering the wonderful world of pinterest...I'm truly addicted...I came across a pin from the HuffingtonPost...Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know.  I know I'm not yet 30, I'm still 3 years away.  But with my recent birthday (thanks to my handful of friends here in Barcelona it was a very nice day), Faustino's 30th birthday fast approaching (which I'm sad to say I'll be missing) and getting married this fall I couldn't help but read the article and think what I should have and should know in the next three years.  So reflection here we go...


By 30, you should have ...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come...Half check - I don't think I can imagine one worth going back to but I can imagine a few that do remind me of how far I've come in life and how happy/lucky I am to have Faustino. 
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family...Check - I would have to say the couch that we bought a few years ago.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour...Hmmm...I think I need to find that perfect outfit for work and also one for the perfect date night.  
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying...Definitely need to work on this one.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond...Checked over and over, I'm happy to move on from my childhood and teenage years.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age...Double check...enough said.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it...Not quite there yet.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you...Check.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded...Check and proud of this one!
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry...Check and Check.  The friends that I've acquired in the past years and that have stuck around are there for a reason.  They are all near and dear to my heart.  I feel I'm too old to be acquiring unhealthy friendships.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra...Halfway there.  I do have a toolbox, a staple gun, screwdrivers, hammer, etc.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it...Check...These 4 months in Spain could be that and also the DSLR I bought a few years back.
13. The belief that you deserve it...Check...they were both great purchases (so were all my other trips).
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30...Still need to work on this one.
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better...I think for the most part I can say check on this one.  Before my stay in Barcelona I had worked for a great employer for almost 4 years who taught me a great many things.  And then of course I have not only a satisfying relationship but someone that I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with.
By 30, you should know ...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself...I think I was lucky enough to have learned this one at a young age...Or maybe it was just stubborn enough not to ever want to lose who I was...either way...Check.
2. How you feel about having kids...Still undecided...but I still have 3 years.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship...I think I have this one down.  We'll go with check.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away...Lost friendships have taught me this one, though I still have some more learning to do...not quite there.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next...We'll go with check.
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town...Check, half check and uncheck...need to find that best tailor in town still.
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to...I think the only time I ever truly lived alone without roommates was when I was 19 living at my grandma's house during the summer...otherwise I've lived with roommates and/or Faustino...I'm going to say check anyway.
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing...Check.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents...Still working on remembering this one.
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over...I think I can say check for this one.  I was ready to move past it the moment I left home for college even though it took a few years to completely understand it.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love...Hmm...I guess I still need to think about this one since I've never thought about it.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long...Slowly but surely learning this one.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally...I think this one is always changing but I still need to work on the taking it personally part.
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault...Far from knowing this one...still learning.
15. Why they say life begins at 30...because you stop worrying?  Bring on the next 3 years until I turn 30, I'm ready to do a lot of living between now and then.
A lot to think about.  Though I feel I have a good handle on the list above I realize there is still a lot of learning and growing that I need to do before I turn 30, lucky thing is I'm aware of it and ready for it.  I was originally dreading my birthday, not so much because I was turning 27 but because I missed home but I have some really great friends here in BCN who made it a great day.  And now that the day is gone I'm looking to what the next 6 months has in store for me and I'm so excited.  Even more so, I'm excited to see what I can accomplish in the next 3 years.
I came to Spain for the first time as a nervous 17 year old, traveling across the Atlantic for the first time without my parents.  I returned to Spain an open minded 20 year old ready for the best year of my life to begin.  And finally I came back to Spain as 26 year old (now 27) wanting closure (though I don't think I realized that is what I wanted at first), needing to realize and know that it was okay to love this great country but also know that I could move on and remember it as a crazy fun time that I will enjoy retelling in my old age (#6 of should have).
So here's to the next 3 years, to always remaining reflective, and to continuously growing

No comments:

Post a Comment