Thursday, November 15, 2012

Crafting for a Purpose

I feel like I should be writing a reflection post right now instead of the piece that I am, seeing how it is almost the end of the year and it definitely was a busy year.  But I'll leave that for late December.  Instead I'll write the post I originally intended to do.

I'd like to introduce my newest project: Crafting for a Purpose

I had recently started to look into what I'd like to do with my life and what makes me happy.  From there I started thinking about two of my favorite past times: being creative and helping people. And you know how it goes, my mind started wandering, thinking about Pinterest, all the crafts I want to do, reading blogs, and the list goes on. And then something came to my mind: Crafting with purpose, for a purpose, for good, etc.
And from there my mind started racing with ideas.  So here is what my thoughts have boiled down to: every other month (in the future it might be every month) find a different cause to help by creating/crafting. During each time period, I will blog about the organization, what craftable/creatable items they could use, the time frame and then I will post updates on the crafters' efforts.
 
So now I'd like to ask you to be a part of this group!
 
After a little research on the internet I found something easy to start out with: St Anthony's Holiday Knitting Donation Drive (Click here to see more information on St. Anthony's) which asks people to knit or crochet scarves for those less fortunate. The deadline to submit the scarves is December 21st.
I've listed the details below:

Here's how:

  • Knit or crochet on your own
  • Scarves will be given free to guests of St. Anthony's during the holidays.

Here's what:

  • Size: Our scarves should be 5-7 inches wide and 48-60 inches long.
  • Yarn: Mid-weight yarns in washable wool or wool/acrylic blends (but please no cotton yarn (its not warm and holds moisture)
  • Colors: Neutral, classic or bright (but please no white or light colored yarns which soil easily)
  • Yardage: about 200 - 250 depending on yarn weight
  • Needle size: U.S. 7-9 depending on yarn weight

Please let me know if you'd be interested in this project and if so how many scarves you'd like to commit to making. If you're not interested in this project but think that you might be interested in one down the road, please let me know and I'll be sure to include you in my updates. And/or if you know someone that might like to participate, please forward on this post or send me their contact information and I'll send them an email.
Thanks and I really appreciate your time!  Now let's craft with purpose! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment