Thursday, March 24, 2011

Starting where she left off...

My grandmother, well she was... a great seamstress.  She had a ton of energy and she was the most creative person I knew.  She was always busy sewing, cooking, baking, sketching, painting, traveling, tending to her garden or working with one of us on any one of the projects above.  I spent a lot of time with her until her death in 2004.  So its no wonder she rubbed off on me in some way or another. 

I realize I'm not a great seamstress, actually I'm really just a beginner (though I've sewn a bit here and there).  Around 2000-2001 my grandmother gave me her sewing machine but I wasn't ready to do anything on my own...or even take it home with me. At that time in my life I was too preoccupied with sports and hanging out with friends. But last summer I finally brought the 1970s Singer to my apartment. And slowly, I've been using it for my projects. Anyhow, I feel with practice, dedication and concentration that maybe, just maybe, one day I could be a good one.


As I've mentioned in a previous post, my grandma started many projects that she never finished (another thing that rubbed off on me).  And now 7 years after her passing, my mom and I are finding these unfinished projects as we clean out and organize her craft room.  One such project that I found was some gorgeous fabric (purchased on one of her trips to France) that she was turning into a tablecloth.

The beautiful fabric that someday soon will cover my table
It looks like she sewed a few pieces together to make it long and wide enough to fit a small table (which is perfect because it should fit mine).  Now, all I have to do is finish it - which I hope to do in the next week.  I know it won't be as fancy as hers would have been if she finished it, but I know it will make her proud.  And I know she'll be happy to know I'm starting where she left off...

No comments:

Post a Comment